Sunday, August 5, 2012

Second Trimester Eve

Zaruma was dead today. The streets were nearly empty. Cars whizzed by, full of families going to El Cisne, a church two hours away that is in fiestas all of this month. Dogs wandered around the streets, bored, looking for something to do. Men sat on the steps of their houses, looking out. Kids ran around together, kicking soccer balls and racing each other.



Tomorrow is the start of the second trimester at my colegio, 26 de Noviembre, and everyone is gearing up for it after three blissful weeks of vacation. I don't know how it will go. I hope the teachers come to my workshops, and my new schedule works out. I hope that they're more willing to try new activities out of the book, and to plan with me. I basically just hope we can reach a happy place where they feel like they're being helped, and I feel like they're benefitting and putting in the time. Basically, like I'm being productive, and a Good Volunteer. We'll see.



The pool's open, which has been blissfulincrediblelovely. I've been going with my two youngest host "nieces". The older one, Dani, is a little dolphin. She is a fast learning, tall and still growing girl with no fear. I LOVE kids like that. I've taught her how to dive (although she still flops her back feet), how to swim the freestyle (though breathing is so so) and how to do a streamline. The youngest, Ari, the baby, likes to practice kicking and smiles and shakes her head when I try and get her to do freestyle. But her sister is toughter than me, and, with both of us, I think she'll learn soon.


The pool is like this rectangular, chlorinated, blue body of hope. Hope that the swim team will become a reality. Hope that I can actually teach kids how to swim, help build their confidence, and give them a place where they can exercise, have fun, and take risks. Everytime I leave the pool, I'm so happy. I'm glowing with peace, my muscles sore and aching, the sun drying off my hair and my arms. The mini traffic jams and groups of staring guys seem more manageable, less annoying. It's pure bliss.


No comments:

Post a Comment